Friday, December 23, 2005

Journalist Jack Anderson

Stories That Matter: "Jack Anderson died last Saturday morning. He gave me a job as a reporter in 1968. He taught me that a kid from California could investigate anything and ask anyone in government any question. ... He taught me that too much time in power corrupts. ... He taught me that I could overcome a state education and the lack of an ivy- league pedigree by simply calling more people than anyone else. That is how Jack became the best reporter of his generation. No one spoke truth to power as eloquently as Jack Anderson. ... Jack Anderson put the fire in my belly, convincing me that being a reporter was the most important thing I could do with my life."

TPMCafe: "All of us at TPMCafe are associated with Josh Marshall's intrepid effort to revive the tradition of muckraking journalism at a time when there's so much muck to rake. Accordingly, there should be some acknowledgement of the passing of one of the last century's great muckrakers, Jack Anderson. ... [I]n his time, Anderson was himself a bigfoot journalist and a fearful factor in Washington, ready at any moment to turn rumors into ruin.
And he had his own cult of minor celebrity, back in the day. ... [W]e should take a moment to remember Anderson, with all his faults, as a man who never took official obfuscations and denials for an answer."

POGO Blog: "I'll always remember Jack at his 16th Street office, wearing a pair of slippers and coolly marking up copy at his desk. Whenever I saw Jack, he appeared in control of everything around him. ... I can still sense the respect that Jack's presence commanded, as well as the extent to which people, like me, would go to earn his respect. He could make a young associate's day by simply flashing his wry smile and saying, "Good job." To be sure, Jack, in his familiar role as mentor, kept a watchful eye over all the young journalists in his stable. He wanted them to succeed beyond their work for him."

MF Blog: "Overall, one may confidently say the weight of the deeds in the life of Jack Anderson fall far more often on the "good" side of life's ledger. Anderson was a national treasure. His consistent willingness to attack the powerful has been sorely missed among our remaining major newspapers for more years than we as a nation may want to admit."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home